In viaForensics’ webinar “HOWTO Complete a Logical Examination on Android Using F/OSS Tools,” viaForensics Security and Forensics Analyst Kevin Swartz discusses common Android passcode bypass techniques, logical and physical acquisitions (which is better for you and why), and root (what it is and why it is important).
He then completes a logical acquisition of data from an Android device using free, open source tools. Data recovered includes SMS (text) messages, MMS messages and media, contacts, and call logs.
Slides and discussions of particular note:
- 3:05 – Android passcode circumvention
- 5:30 – JTAG / Chip off
- 7:10 – Logical forensics – what it is & pros / cons
- 9:30 – Physical forensics – what it is & pros / cons
- 11:40 – Rooting: what it means
- 15:30 – How to get root: common methods
- 16:50 – HOWTO live demo: steps
- 22:34 – Live demo
- 35:35 – Q&A
AFLogical is available for free for Law Enforcement personnel, and the OSE version is built into the Free, Open Source Santoku Linux. After this demonstration you will be able to complete a logical acquisition on an Android device using free and open source tools.